Challenge Rules & Guidelines
Monday September 11th, 8 AM EST
Wednesday September 20th, 11:59:59 PM EST
Round One Submission Opens
Thursday September 21st, 12 PM EST
Round One Submission Deadline
Monday September 25th, 6 AM EST
Tuesday September 26th - Thursday September 28th
Advancing Teams Announced
Saturday October 7th, 10 AM EST
All participants must:
- Be at least 18 years of age (or at least the age of majority in the student’s jurisdiction of residence, whichever is older)
- A current student at CMU (either full time or part time)
- All undergraduate, graduate, masters, and Ph.D. students are welcome to participate
- Can be comprised of 1 to 5 people
- Must select one person to serve as the Team Captain, who will receive updates
- Can consist of students from any and all schools within CMU
- Students can only be a member of one team
Registration is in two phases:
- Phase 1: One individual (presumably the Captain) will register the team name and the email addresses of all team participants
- Phase 2: Each participant submitted in Part 1 will receive an email with a link to the Team Member Registration Form
- Registration opens on September 11th, 2017 at 8:00 AM EST.
- Both the Team Registration and Team Member Registration forms must be completed by 11:59:59 PM EST on September 20th, 2017
- Team composition may not be changed once the Team Registration Deadline has passed
Round 1: Submit Ideas
- Participants are asked to submit an idea, through a portal, in the area of financial technology.
Ideas can fall into one of six categories:
- Applications of machine learning
- Social Finance
- Personalization of Products and Services
- Credit Scoring and Risk Analysis
- Wild Card (Open fintech application)
The Round 1 Submission form accepts
- Up to 3 files in PDF format (max size is 1GB per file)
- Up to 2 URLs (e.g., link to video at Vimeo/YouTube, Dropbox link, Prezi link, etc)
- Text field for notes to explain submission
Evaluation is based on the following criteria:
- The novelty and creativity of the idea
- The technical sophistication of the idea
- The business merit of the idea
- The top teams, will advance to Round 2.
- Team captains will be notificied whether their teams are proceeding to Round 2 on the morning of September 29th, 2017.
- numo may provide feedback or questions from the Round 1 Judging with the expectation that teams advancing to Round 2 will address these items during their presentation in Round 2.
Round 2: In-Person Presentation
- Teams advancing to Round 2 will be asked to give in-person presentations at the numo headquarters on October 7th, 2017.
- Teams will be given 10 minutes to present their ideas, with 5 minutes at the end for questions
Round 2 judging will be based upon the same criteria as Round 1 as well as
- The teams ability to present ideas clearly
- How well the team addressed Round 1 questions and feedback
- The teams responses during the Q&A session
- Announcement of the winning teams will be sent to the team Captains by October 10, 2017.